Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mind Your Health Mondays: Barefoot Running

After a couple weeks off, I'm back! I know it's technically Tuesday, but since I'm still up lets pretend its Monday. ;)

In March, some lovely ladies and I will be running our first half marathon! We've been training for it since September. About a month into our training  I injured my Achilles tendon. :( I didn't do anything to it, but here I am months later and I'm still dealing with a tightness and pain in the tendon. Rest relieves it, but the next time I run it comes back. After a bit of research, I came across a video that may explain why this is happening. The culprit: my shoes!




It astounds me that we've created shoes to help us walk and run more comfortably by forcing our feet to strike the ground completely opposite to the way they were naturally designed. I haven't picked up the Vibram Five Finger shoes yet (shown at the end of the video), but I plan to real soon! I'm sad that I'll have to abandon my expensive Nikes; they're less than a year old! But I'll keep them around for an "everyday" wear. Truth is, I find the Five Finger shoes creepy looking.  I'll keep you updated on the changes I experience with barefoot running.

Random fact: Jesus walked about 10-20 miles a day.

Until next Monday...Mind your feet! :)

1 comment:

  1. Your footy shoes are creepy. I've already told you that. But if they make you feel better then I'll gladly sing your praises! I'm so proud of you for all of the running work you've done and how you've progressed. I don't think I have the discipline or the lung capacity to make the journey you have but I'm inspired by you to want to live better!

    And that fact about Jesus is crazy. No wonder he needed people to wash his feet! Probably needed some massages down there as well! lol

    ReplyDelete